News Alert

Heavily armed militants surrender

A Correspondent
Agartala, July 2, 2010: 13 heavily militants of the outlawed All Tripura Tiger Force (ATTF) led by self style captain Jagadish Debbarma widely known as Jester Debbarma, a ferocious underground leader, laid down 15 sopishitcated weapons at the Assam Rifles sector headquarters in Agartala Friday.

Jester and his fellow returnee Lemon Debbarma were wanted in connection with serial blasts that rocked Agartala city on evening of 3 November 2008 and figured in charge sheet submitted in the court by Criminal Investigation Department (CID). However Inspector General of Police (Intelligence) Bishnu Debbarma who was present on the occasion said the government would initiate to withdraw the charges against them.

“When the matter (process of surrender of the militants) was brought to our attention by the Assam Rifles we agreed to take out the pending cases against them”, Debbarma told the Hindustan Times. About one hundred people were injured many of them critically in the blasts at five places of the city detonated by using cell phone as timers.

Tripura state Director General of Police K. Salim Ali who was the main guest informed that there has been a policy to withdraw charges against surrendered militants except that concerning crime against women. He said with day's surrender a total 108 militants from the ATTF and the National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT) joined mainstream of life this year.

Jester who was carrying rupees two lakh reward for information leading to his arrest, and his team deposited a huge cache of weapons including eleven AK-47 rifles, 3 self loading rifles and one 303 rifle, 350 rounds of ammunition, 25 magazines and 24 kg explosives. It was an occasion after many days where all the returnee militants deposited arms which are sophisticated in nature.

The border security force (BSF) facilitated entry of the rebels from their Satchari camp in Bangladesh in compliance with the initiative taken by the Assam Rifles. “We have arranged their arrival Thursday night”, BSF DIG A.K. Garg informed.